If you need assistance, please call 925-216-7720

  • Who Does What In Real Estate Blog #1

    Monday, June 17, 2019   /   by Leticia Almaro Nicolini

    Who Does What In Real Estate Blog #1

    This blog is for anyone who thinks that escrow sounds like a made-up word put together at random from some scrabble tiles. For those who do not know my name is Megan, I started working with the Almaro Team in January after I recently graduated college. I run the social media accounts for my team and have learned a lot about real estate since I have joined. However, I know that there is still so much more to learn. I am going to try and make the real estate process as easy as possible for everyone to understand.

    When it comes to any profession there are a whole bunch of people running around behind the scenes making sure everything runs smoothly. It is no different with real estate, so I am going to tell you about all the different professionals you will encounter from A to Z.

    , they estimate the value of a home. Their job is to make sure that the price paid for a house is within the fair market value.

    Buyer’s Attorney, this person represents the buyer in a real estate transaction.

    Buyer’s Agent, this person is the real estate agent that helps the buyer purchase a house.

    Client, person or people who are contractually represented by a real estate agent during the process of buying and/or selling of a home.

    Customer, buyers and/or sellers who are not represented by an agent but assist in the purchase or sale of a home.

    Home Inspector, most purchase contracts allow a buyer to have a home inspected within five days of signing the purchase contract. A home inspector performs an inspection of the home to be purchased on behalf of the buyers in the transaction. The inspector examines the home for structural soundness and identifies recommended repairs in his or her report. Depending on the area of the country where you sell, common practice may include other types of inspections, including a termite inspection and a radon inspection.

    Insurance Agent, a person who sells insurance policies, such as homeowners’ and automobile insurance. Typically, homebuyers need to show proof of homeowners’ insurance before or at the time of closing on the purchased property. Without this, some closings can’t move forward as planned.

    Loan Officer, an employee of a mortgage lender who helps borrowers secure financing for a home purchase.

    Mortgage Broker, an independent contractor who helps bring borrowers and lenders together by originating residential and/or commercial loans offered by multiple wholesale lenders.

    Mortgage Lender, a mortgage loan company that originates, services, and sells loans to investors or purchasers.

    Seller’s Agent, an agent with a contractual relationship with a seller to help sell a home (also often known as “listing agent”).

    Seller’s Attorney, a real estate attorney who represents the seller(s) in a real estate transaction.

    Surveyor, usually on land deals, this person takes a legal description of the property and maps out the exact boundaries. The legal description in many cases refers to physical landmarks. Those landmarks can change over time—and there may be unintentional or intentional encroachment by neighbors over time. Neighbors may have even been given permission, for example, to put a driveway on a neighbor’s property, but when the house is sold, the driveway can become a point of contention.

    Title Companies, once the purchase contract on a property is completed, terms are agreed upon, and financing arrangements have been made, the lender orders a title search of the property to be purchased. Depending on the region, a title company or practicing attorney can conduct this search. A title search is the examination of public records to determine that the person selling the property has the right to sell it and the buyer is getting all the rights to the property. The title search seeks to uncover any liens or other problems with the title. The title company then works to fix any problems with the title before issuing lender’s title insurance, or the loan policy. The loan policy protects the lender’s interests in the property. Buyers also may obtain an owner’s policy to protect their interests. In some parts of the country, the seller would purchase the owner’s title policy for the buyer—in effect telling them the house they are buying has a clear title. In other areas, the buyer must obtain the owner’s policy on his/her own. It’s a matter of custom so ask your local title professional how it’s handled in your area.

    Transaction Broker, also called a “facilitator” or “statutory broker” in some states, these terms refer to real estate professionals who enter a non-agency relationship with their clients that is governed by statutorily-defined duties. The statutorily-defined duties of a transaction broker replace the common-law agency principles that otherwise govern the relationship between a practitioner and a client and impose a fiduciary duty—or heightened legal duty—upon the real estate professional who is in an agency relationship with a client.

    These are all the professionals that you will encounter when listing or buying a home. Of course there are so many other people that were not mentioned but this is only the beginning. Stick with us as we really dive in to the real estate game.

    “Who's Who in Real Estate?” 
    Realtor Magazine, 15 Nov. 2012